Apply for a Permit
To apply for a Household Waste Recycling Centre permit, either:
- Call the Permit Helpline on 0300 003 1118 (or 01228 518129), or
- Complete the online form below.
Not everyone needs a permit to use the recycling facility. Cumbrian residents wishing to use a recycling centre in a normal 4-wheel car do not need a permit, even with a trailer (provided it is no longer than 3m and has a single axle). However householders wishing to use vans, pickups, crew-cabined, utility and/or 2 axle trailers (up to 3m/10ft in length) do need to apply for a permit.
The following are NOT allowed on any of the HWRC’s in Cumbria;
- Trailers with more than 2 axles or longer than 3m/10ft
- Vehicles with more than 4 wheels (including twin-wheeled on rear axle).
- Any vehicle with a tipping mechanism.
Please note that it is the householder that is required to apply for a permit. If you are clearing a house due to exceptional circumstances (eg: bereavement) please call the Permit Helpline on 0300 003 1118 or 01228 518129 who can advise you on this.
There are 3 types of permit that can be applied for;
- General Waste Permit - This is for one visit during a 31 day period. Householders can apply for one per household, per month.
- Annual Recycling Permit – Valid for a year for the recyclables listed depending on choice of site. These may include any or all of the following; Green Garden Waste, Cardboard, Glass (jars & bottles, clear, green & brown), Plastics, Paper & Magazines, Tins & Cans and Clothing & Textiles.
- Pedestrian Permit – This is for local residents wishing to arrive at the site on foot to dispose of their household waste & recyclables and is valid indefinitely.
If you have any queries regarding the scheme, please call the Permit Helpline on 0300 003 1118 or 01228 518129.
- Trade Waste is NOT accepted at any of our Household Waste Recycling Centres, it is strictly for the disposal of your own household waste only.
- If you are applying for a permit for ASBESTOS (hazardous waste), don’t apply online, you will need to call the helpline on 0300 003 1118.
Plasterboard/Gypsum based waste is only accepted at the following sites: Carlisle, Penrith, Maryport, Frizington, Kendal & Barrow.