Frequently Asked Questions
Why are permits necessary?
The permit scheme exists to ensure no trade waste is deposited at Cumbria's Household Waste Recycling Centres. These sites are for use only by Cumbrian householders.
What types of permits are there?
There are three different types of permit:
1) The annual permits are issued for all types of recyclable material including paper, glass, card, cans, plastics and green waste. These permits allow an unlimited number of visits to any recycling centre and unlimited amounts of these materials can be deposited. These permits are valid for a full year.
2) The general waste permits will state the type of waste that will be deposited at the time of application. This waste will be monitored to ensure that declared waste is actually what is being disposed. These permits are valid for only one month and allow one visit per household.
3) The pedestrian permit enables a householder to access the site on foot with either recyclable materials or general waste.
Does this mean I need to keep requesting a new permit each month?
For general waste, yes. However your recycling permit is valid for a full year and this permit should cover much of the materials you want to take to your recycling centre.
I have a large amount of waste, can I have more than one permit?
You can have a maximum of three months permits in advance. However no further permits will be issued in those three months.
How do I apply for a permit?
You can apply for a permit in two ways:
1) Calling 0300 003 1118 or 01228 518129.
2) Completing the online application form.
How long does it take to issue a permit?
Applying for a permit will only take you about 10 minutes. The permit will then be posted to the address declared on your application so you should receive it within 2 – 3 days.
What happens if I need to deposit waste in a van at short notice?
Contact the helpline on 0300 003 1118 (or 01228 518129) who will advise on a course of action. Alternatively emergency permits can be issued out of office hours at the discretion of site staff but only under exceptional circumstances.
Do I need to take my permit with me to the household waste recycling centre?
Yes. Without it you will not be allowed onto the site.
If you have any further questions you should contact the permit helpline on 0300 003 1118 or 01228 518129.